Apricot Almond Meringue Cookies
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- pinch of cream of tartar
- ¾ cups sugar, superfine is best
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 oz. dried apricots, finely diced
- ¼ cup lightly toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 225F.
- Lightly grease two cookie sheets or, if you prefer, grease parchment or waxed paper spread on cookie sheets.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt or cream of tartar until the whites make soft peaks.
- To make a tender meringue, gradually add all but 2 tbsp of the sugar as you continue to beat.
- Check to see if the sugar has dissolved by pinching the meringue.
- When you can no longer feel the crystals, fold in the remaining sugar, then the vanilla extract, and finally the apricots and almonds.
- Drop neat spoonfuls of the meringue batter onto the cookie sheets; give them attractive peaks, as they will not spread or change their shape.
- Bake 1 hour without opening the door.
- Turn off the oven and keep them in the unopened oven for at least another hour or as long as overnight.
- Remove the cookies with a spatula.
- Store them in airtight tins or closed tightly in a plastic bag.